Tuesday, August 30, 2011

There's a real live baby in there!

Reaching out with the right hand toward us!
Say hello to our little baby bru!! (Gender to be revealed on Saturday)

Here's a play by play of our appointment:
I arrived early and they called my name to go back before Alex even arrived. Luckily, as we were walking back he was walking in the door.

Our ultrasound tech Kelsey was the sweetest! She was very social and asked us lots of questions and kept us informed through the whole thing.

It was crazy to see a baby inside there, a real live baby. Since I took Britt's advice and had some chocolate beforehand, the baby was moving around like crazy! Closer to the end of the ultrasound, the baby settled down so that Kelsey could take some final measurements.

Back to the beginning.. May Grant is awesome because you don't have to go to the hospital to have the ultrasound, they do it right in the office. You lay down on a bed and look up at a flatscreen monitor near the ceiling in the room. Kelsey (or whoever) looks at her own machine. Kelsey was busy busy typing as she saw things, she measured lots of stuff. I don't remember all that she said but we saw the stomach, the kidneys, the spinal column, the diaphragm, the brain and of course, the heart and it's 4 chambers beating away. The baby's heartrate was 143 this time around. One of the first things she did was look between the legs. It was obvious to me what it was, but we waited for her to confirm. I wish I had a picture to share of the experience but Alex and I were pretty caught up in the moment to take pictures. We could've stared at the screen all day watching the baby move around.

At the end we got some pictures, including the one shown above. It's going to be hard not to tell our parents the gender until Friday but that'll just heighten it even more. We're still surprised (as we would be with either gender) and it's going to take some time for it to sink in. We just love knowing that it's a little boy or girl in there and that it's healthy, that was the #1 thing. I swear, if there were reviews for ultrasound techs, Kelsey would get a 20 out of 10. She was awesome!

After the ultrasound, I had my normal appointment. Nothing too interesting. We just need to start looking for a pediatrician. We looked at the baby's pictures a lot through the evening. The miracle of life is truly awesome!

Check back Saturday for the reveal!

4 comments:

Bri {collected} said...

We just found out yesterday too! We cheated and went to the mall so we wouldn't have to wait until 20 weeks. I'm impatient. Anyway, excited to hear what you're having!

August said...

What a cool story...we are so happy for you guys! I think you are having a boy. : )

August

Michelle said...

Bri! How exciting! I can't wait to hear what you're having, hopefully things are progressing really well for you! I bet little Rilo is excited for a sibling!

August, wait and see! Big reveal either Friday night or Saturday morning!

Jen McHenry said...

I'm so happy for you both! It will be one cute kid! ...and if it's a boy, I am still buying him a tutu. :)