Friday, September 9, 2011

Gender Reveal: Pink Icing Filled Cupcakes

In a fun way to announce the gender to our coworkers, Monday afternoon/evening I made a couple batches of cupcakes for us to take into work. I filled them with pink icing to reveal the gender but topped them with white icing so that you couldn't see the pink. They turned out awesome if I do say so myself. Here are the steps in case you want to do something similar in the future.

Step 1: Bake cupcakes and let them cool. Obviously.
Step 2: Use a sharp knife to cut a cone out of the top of each cupcake, 
saving the cones in a bowl.
Step 3: Separate the icing that you made into two parts. 
(I had to keep making more pink icing and then I had to make more 
white icing because piping icing uses a lot more than just spreading it on).
Step 4: I chose a regular large open tip in my piping bag (sorry, no picture) 
and then piped the pink icing into each cupcake.
Step 5: Put the cones back on. They don't have to be perfect since the rest 
of the icing will be covering them anyway.
Step 6: Fill another piping bag with the desired tip attached. I did a large star tip. Frost those beautiful cupcakes, doing your best to start far on the outside to make sure to cover the pink.
 Step 7: Test one! The lighting is way off in this picture but it showed the pink the best.
MMM.. i wish i had more here to eat, lol.

Anyway, just thought i'd share this step by step in case anyone ever wanted to do it and didn't know how. It's a great way to reveal the gender. Alex had a good idea to only fill one of them so that they'd have to eat through the cupcakes to find out what it is, but that's a lot of cupcakes, sugar.. butter.. etc, lol. We might use that in the future though!

1 comment: