Monday, September 10, 2012

Tough Love pt 2

Well after researching this every single night, I finally found a website that explains everything, and I do mean everything, that I was looking for.

Most of the questions I had were related to how to interact with her after the initial cry it out session. Should I nurse her if she wakes up? Should I even go in and soothe her if it will just make her mad again?

Over the past five nights, she's consistently awakening at 2:30am (last night was a bugger bc she was up more, which we later suspected was a dirty diaper, boo!) and I figured it was because she was hungry but my previous reading and the even the doctor at our last appointment and my own personal opinions made me feel like, she got enough food during the day, she doesn't need to eat at night. I didn't even think about trying to wean her off of night feedings until reading this website that I was reading last night (at 2:00am) and today during my lunch break.

About a million light bulbs flashed in my head about 20 minutes ago. Bringo! I get it now. I am going to start weaning her off of night feedings instead of unintentionally trying to have her go cold turkey. Miss Scarlett is an eater.. I should've known that she wouldn't give up her early morning snacks so easily.

I just wanted to come in and update on this subject and perhaps also point out that "Tough Love" is probably not the most appropriate title. I understand now that crying it out has a point and she learned how to put herself to sleep at bedtime (not without a min or two of crying but it's still a success). It's not an end all excuse to let her cry all night long if she wakes up. Babies have needs and I apologized to Scarlett for missing her cues of hunger (and that dirty dipe, she never poo's at night.. sheesh!). And I told her I wouldn't ignore her cues anymore and that we will be working on sleeping through the night over the next couple of weeks until her she is weaned from eating at night. I hope she understood what I said but who knows! :)

Anyway, Happy Monday to those of you who are reading!

Also, Edited to Add... I'm a total twit for not mentioning the website I was reading! It was TroublesomeTots .. Praise praise praise :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I meant to comment on your first post but time got away from me. Hooray for sleep-full nights hopefully in your future! :) I never get serious about sleep training until around this age as well. For me, I always thought going back in every 5,10, 15 minutes never worked. They'd just be calming down and then they'd start screaming again because they saw me. It felt like a tease instead of reassuring. As long as I knew they were full, not sick, and the right temperature (not too hot or cold), I'd let them cry as long as it took. C was much trickier than Emma....persistent little bugger. :) good thinking about the weaning. Praying you'll have great success and you'll all be sleeping through the night soon!